Rantaro Kiyama (黄山 乱太郎, Kiyama Rantaro), also known as The Boss (クミチョー, Kumicho) in the Japanese version and The Head Honcho or Honcho for short in the English version, is a character featured in the anime and manga series, Beyblade Burst. He is a member of the Bey Club at his school. He currently battles with his Beyblade, Roktavor R3 4Cross Flugel.
Rantaro is tall, comparative to his age, and has blond hair and brown eyes (since his hair color does not match that of his eyebrows, as it does for the other characters in the show, it is implied that his styled hair is in fact dyed). He is usually seen wearing a black gakuran jacket with a red tank top underneath. His matching gakuran trousers are kept up using a white sash and he keeps comic books around his waistband (In the manga, these are specifically CoroCoro comics). He wears a bandaid on the bridge of his nose and he is almost always seen with a lollipop in his mouth. He also carries with him a large white paper fan.
Rantaro is highly self-confident, often referring to himself as the Head Honcho and is good at sneaking things in and out of their school's strict regulations. He can be quite simple-minded and clueless, and is shown to not be very insightful at times (such as when he was unable to tell that Valt was upset over Shu's shoulder injury and when Ken was feeling lonely at Xander's grandpa's dojo). Despite this, he is honest and has a strong sense of justice.
Rantaro has many similar personality traits to Valt Aoi. Being naturally honest, he displays many of his emotions openly, whether it be happiness, anger, sadness or joy. He is often mistaken to be violent or thuggish due to his choice of attire, but he is actually a good guy all around. However, one emotion he has a hard time admitting to having is that he actually loves Valt and is just scared to show it. Often times, he is the first to encourage his teammates to do well before a battle and provide moral support whenever they are feeling down. In addition, he is shown to get along very well with younger children.
Rantaro was introduced in Let's Go! Valtryek!!, where he is first seen at the start of a battle against Valt Aoi. He won the battle against Valt without commanding his Beyblade once, as Valt's bad launches caused self-knockouts. He was then forced to clean up the mess caused by Valt's Valtryek V2 Boost Variable by the School Principal.
He later registered for the local tournament and faced Valt once again in the first round of the tournament. Despite winning the first battle with a Stadium Out and earning a point, Rantaro lost the second round due to a Burst Finish, resulting in Valt's overall victory. He complimented Valt on his performance afterwards.
Rantaro Kiyama debuts in the first chapter as the first person ever to be challenged by Valt Aoi. However, their first battle ended up in disaster as Valt's wrong launch broke the statue of the school's founder. As a result, both Rantaro and Valt were punished by their teacher.
- Roktavor Heavy Survive: Rantaro's primary Beyblade in the Beyblade Burst manga.
- Roktavor R2 Gravity Revolve: Rantaro's primary Beyblade in the Beyblade Burst anime.
- Roktavor R3 4Cross Flugel: Rantaro's primary Beyblade in the Beyblade Burst Evolution anime.
- Roktavor Zone: Roktavor takes up the center of the beystadium and uses its strong stamina and defensive properties to repel opponents while reducing stamina loss. This technique is used primarily for Survivor finishes.
|Beyblade Burst (anime)|
|Valt Aoi||01||Win (2-0)|
|Valt Aoi||01||Lose (2-1)|
|Valt Aoi||02||Win (2-0)|
|Valt Aoi||04||Lose (0-2)|
|Valt Aoi||07||Win (2-0)|
|Xander Shakadera||17||Lose (0-2)|
|Ukyo Ibuki||19||Lose (1-2)|
|Valt Aoi||24||Lose (1-3)|
|Valt Aoi||25||Lose (0-2)|
|Wakiya Murasaki||27||Win (2-0)|
|Ken Midori||34||Lose (0-1)|
|Kyo Sandai||37||Win (1-0)|
|Beyblade Burst Evolution (anime)|
- Rantaro's family name, Kiyama, includes the name of a colour, similar to Valt Aoi and Shu Kurenai, who have "Blue" and "Crimson" in their names respectively. Specifically, his colour is yellow.
- Rantaro's first name and his bey, Raging Roktavor share the same initials, hinting at the letter R in the center of the bey.
- Rantaro's English voice actor, Matt Hill, is well-known for voicing Ed from Ed, Edd and Eddy and also voices Soarin in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
- His Beyblade beast is resembles to Jack Atlas's Red Dragon Archfiend from Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
- Rantaro could be considered the Beyblade Burst counterpart of Benkei Hanawa, in the sense that both of them are large humans who support a main character, they sometimes act as coaches, and they tend to have short tempers, but are ultimately good-hearted.
- He is similar to Gentaro Kisaragi from Kamen Rider Fourze, because both are mistaken to be cruel and thuggish because their appearance; but actually good at heart.
- He also similar to Ryouta Kise from Kuroko's Basketball, due to their shared hair color and "黄" kanji on their last names. Furthermore, much like Kise's school (Kaijou High became the first match for Seirin High in the anime) , Rantaro is serves as the first opponent for Valt Aoi in both the anime and manga.
- His first name is honorific of the Nintama Rantaro anime series, and its main protagonist, Rantaro Inadera.
For a full gallery of images of Rantaro, see Rantaro Kiyama/Gallery.